Communication for the GLOBE 2016 Leadership Summit and Innovation Exposition
The GLOBE 2016 Leadership Summit and Innovation Exposition is held every two years in Vancouver, hosting business, policy, and civil society leaders working to address pressing global challenges with business and technology solutions. PR Associates was engaged by GLOBE Series to manage media relations and advertising for GLOBE 2016. The strategic priorities included exceeding the GLOBE 2014 delegates, exhibitors, sponsors, exposition sponsors and media coverage and to set the stage for GLOBE 2020 to be the “must attend” sustainability conference in 2020. Although exciting, there was concern the “GLOBE” story could be diluted by significant media attention on Prime Minister Trudeau’s keynote speech.
PR Associates created a comprehensive plan to inspire dialogue and engagement, and raise the public and media profile of GLOBE 2016. Specifically, we:
- Developed and executed a communication strategy including objectives, target audience analysis, rational for strategies and tactics, and supporting messages that positioned GLOBE 2016 as the premiere authority on sustainability issues affecting business and industry.
- Developed and executed a comprehensive advertising plan to support the communication strategy and the pre-event goals leading up to the GLOBE 2016 event.
- Drafted and released 11 press releases; created innovative story ideas and pitched it rigorously to local, national and international media.
- Post COP 21, strategically positioned GLOBE 2016 as the next world stage event for thought leaders, CEOs, policy makers, clean tech companies, banks and investors to gather in Vancouver to fight climate change.
- Used other communication tools, such as email campaigns conducted in conjunction with media registration and accreditation to encourage registration
- Developed stories from information received from exhibitors/sponsors and creating news through on-ground experiential.
Record numbers of media and media outlets were in attendance and coverage increased significantly.
PR Associates, through its constant media relations and focused messaging, ensured that GLOBE 2016 was mentioned in most stories coming out of the event. Specific measurable results include:
- 256 registered media; highest media attendance at GLOBE to date (an increase of 113 registrants (80%) over 2014).
- 120 registered media outlets in comparison to 84 from 2014.
- 182 stories published in print and online media in comparison to 116 in 2014.
- 106 stories generated in radio and television media in comparison to 10 in 2014.
- 72 local news stories, 181 national stories and 35 international stories (including in Hong Kong, Germany, France, India, United States, Japan, Mexico and China).
- Times Square Display: Photo of Vancouver along with the headline “Prime Minister Trudeau to open GLOBE 2016” was displayed on the Reuter’s sign on Times Square, New York. The Reuters sign receives over 1.5 million impressions daily and it was displayed 3 times – February 12, 13 and 14.
- Vancity Buzz: The story on ‘Vancouver Lighting up Green’ was pitched to Vancity Buzz who posted the story online. The story was shared on many social media channels and it received 643 Shares on Google +, 37 Shares on LinkedIn, 76 Shares on Twitter and 567 Shares on Facebook page.
- Vancouver Sun: PR Associates successfully pitched a feature story on GLOBE 2016 leading into the conference.
- Global BC: Did live helicopter aerial stories during their weather hits covering the Vancouver landmarks lighting up green for GLOBE 2016.