The Science of Communication™: Public Engagement Fundamentals
According to an international trust survey, only 41% of the public trust information shared by scientists and engineers. Therefore, it is more important than ever to present information clearly, making it meaningful and relevant to the audience. Well-delivered communication will build trust and credibility and result in good decision-making.
Our Science of Communication™ workshop helps to provide scientists, technologists, and engineers with tools for effectively communicating complex scientific information to journalists, policymakers and the public.
Workshop goals include building scientists’ communication skills and confidence in engaging with public audiences and providing best practices for use of different communication methods and mechanisms.
The program uses empirical evidence from research in science communication and public engagement and maintains an evaluation program that confirms workshops are meeting defined goals.
Through discussion, self-reflection, small group work, and practice sessions, workshops focus on the importance of effective communication that clearly conveys scientific concepts.
You will learn how to:
- Display confidence;
- Develop interpersonal skills that improve trust;
- Learn the core components of successful public engagement;
- Learn how to identify a public engagement goal, determine the relevant audience, craft tailored messages to achieve goals and rehearse engagement scenarios;
- Analyze and understand the audiences’ background, level of knowledge, interests and biases;
- Adapt content and present information that meets audience learning needs;
- Show relevancy through story-telling and illustrating information;
- Gain trust and credibility;
- Improve body language, voice and tone to exhibit confidence, enthusiasm and passion;
- Answer difficult questions with confidence.
A Science of Communication™ workbook will be provided to each participant.
We customize our workshops to meet your needs. Individual coaching is available.
The Science of Communication ™ workshop is custom designed to your needs and provides scientists, engineers and business people with the skills and communication tools they need to build trust while delivering complex information to non-technical audiences.