Building Trust within Indigenous Communities
Learning to Speak the Same Language ™
In this workshop, STEM professionals will develop public speaking and presentation skills which will help them effectively communicate and present technical information to Indigenous people. Participants will learn the importance of conducting audience analysis which is informed by Indigenous culture, history and traditional values. They will learn how to increase audience comprehension and acceptance by presenting technologically complex information in an understandable and non-‐threatening environment. Through a combination of case studies and hands-‐on skill development, this workshop will assist scientists in identifying potential barriers to good communication and developing a common language to be better understood.
What you will learn:
- Understand First Nation audiences;
- Frame presentations and shape messages;
- Present information that meets the audience needs;
- Tell compelling stories;
- Be entertaining, passionate and confident;
- Manage body language, voice and tone;
- Design visuals and communication tools to support your message;
- Answer difficult questions with confidence;
- Manage opposition and conflict;
- Measure your own effectiveness.